The Board of Deacons is made up of twenty-four elected members of our congregation each serving a three-year term. A member is elected for a specific ministry and will serve in that same ministry for the duration of the three-year term.
Our regularly scheduled meetings occur on the third Tuesday of every month.
Responsibilities of All Deacons
- Sunday Coffee Fellowship: Each Deacon is responsible for assisting with the preparation of coffee for our Sunday Services. Deacons are assigned in two-person teams and usually serve coffee four times a year.
- In-Home Communion: Deacons volunteer for in-home communion which occurs six times a year. Two-person teams are assigned to deliver communion to two or three homebound members. The two person team usually consists of two Deacons or a Deacon and an Elder.
- Flower Delivery: Deacons volunteer for delivery of the sanctuary flowers, the Easter lilies and the Christmas poinsettias. These flowers are usually delivered to one of our homebound members of our congregation or to one of the local retirement communities.
- Sunday Service at Sunrise Assisted Living Facility: Deacons volunteer to assist in this service which occurs once a month. Usually one Deacon is needed for this service.
- Visitation Reports: Deacons complete a brief visitation report after each contact with a church member is made whether it is by making a visit, delivering in-home communion, or making a phone call. This keeps our pastoral staff updated on the needs of our congregation.
- Other responsibilities: On some occasions our pastoral staff will identify a unique need that can only be met by the caring ministries of the Board of Deacons. These opportunities to help our congregation are taken care of by the Deacons.
Church members are invited to participate in our ministry of caring. Please join with the Deacons in any or all of these ministries!
For more information on how you can help, please contact the Moderator of the Deacons, Matt Kruithoff, by consulting your OPPC directory or by calling the OPPC office at 317-844-1107.